Friday, October 9, 2009

Frustrations

So this week has been very full and very interesting.  So I apologize in advance, but I am sure this will be a long and wordy post because there is a lot of explaining to do.

First off this week was consumed with firefighting stuff and sick kids.  And not just a little bit sick, but holy cow how did I miss that kind of sick.  To make a long sick story short we ended up with Colton with Pnemonia in his left lower lung and Mason had a bad case of the croop, or croup, however you prefer to spell it.  It got so bad that the usual 1 dose of steroids didn't work and he was coughing through one of teh strongest cough syrups promethezine with codeine.  Now for those of you who are not familar with cough syrup that is one of the strongest, it is so strong that it is the only one that works when I get my yearly asthma cough.  Anyways it didn't work, so teh next morning with little to no sleep I dragged him back to the doc with Colton who also had a cough, but it was dry and didn't seem to bother him much.  The doc took one listen to the crackles in his chest and diagnosed him and sent us on our way with steroids and strong anti-biotics.  Now this would deffinately freak out some parents, but I am very calm and know that both of these illnesses will go away with no lasting damage. 

So on the same day Bowen had a football game.  Now this wasn't any football game, in his region his Mt. Crest team and 2 different Sky View teams were all tied for 2nd place.  Well there was only room for 1st and 2nd place to advance to the playoffs.  So to solve this delema they decided to have a mini-playoff to decide 2nd place.  The deal was we started playing at 7:00 and we played 1 of the Sky View teams.  In order to get 2nd place we had to beat both Sky View teams that night.  We played the 1st half verses Sky View (black) and teh 2nd half against Sky View (blue).  I wasn't sure this was teh best solution, how fair is it that we play 2 games back to back adn those teams only have to play 1?  Anyways.......

So we are playing the first game and it is going good.  It is after 7:00 and it was COLD that night.  Scott and I were watching while my wonderful mother watched the other kids because of the COLD.  Did I mention it was COLD that night?  Ok, so with 7:50 left in the game we just scored a touch down and were ahead 6-0 when BOOM the lights went out and it was dark.  Now there wasn't really a boom, but when those large gas lights turn off there is a sound, adn then it was followed by a bunch of 11 year old boys saying things like "cool" "let's play in the dark" "who turned off the lights".......It was really really dark.  So we just hung around for a few minutes and then the coaches took the boys into the school which had emergency lights on and kept the boys warm.  The parents sat out in teh COLD while waiting for the lights to come back on or for a decision to be made.  About 15 minutes later Scott took off to check on Grandma and Grandpa Elder and get the kids from my mom since she had a "brown out" and couldn't watch TV and we all know that is teh best way to babysit right?  So I stayed there in teh COLD and finally about 30 minutes later the coaches came to us and said here are our options:  Wait for the lights to come back on and finish the games, Play tomorrow night, or go to Sky View and finish tonight.  It is already late and COLD but Sky View had power and they offered to open the field for us.  The referees were from out of town and wanted to play that night so they didn't have to come back the next day.  The boys were all worked up and winning and they wanted to play, so we all loaded up at 8:30 and headed north to Sky View.  Well we got there and guess what?  It was just as cold in Smithfield as in Hyrum.  So the game started at about 9:00 and we ended up winning.  So that meant time to play game 2.  We played that game, it was anti-climatic but we ended up loosing.  Now here is where I just roll my eyes.  WE PLAYED PEE WEE FOOTBALL UNTIL 10:30 on a Wednesday night.  A school night.  Seriously.  Does anyone else see anything wrong with this instead of me?  Oh well. 

We went home and the power was still out and Scott had ALL the kids in our room incase it got cold and they were all afraid to sleep in their rooms with no power.  HUH?  We sleep in teh dark anyway.  Oh Well, so then I am in bed and it isn't cold, but it is too warm because the ceiling fan doesn't work and I guess it isn't so warm as it was stale air.  But my next problem was my buttocks were FROZEN from hours in the freezing cold sitting on aluminum bleachers.  Does anyone know how cold aluminum bleachers are?  So no sleep that night.  Also my husband who wants to know when teh power comes on turned on most of the lights in the house, so at 12 midnight when the power came on the entire house lit up. 

Now my next frustration.  You all know by now that Scott is working for the Ogden City Fire Department.  Well there are uniform requirements for working there.  No big deal right?  Well they gave us a list of "requirements" and $200 cash to purchase it all.  I guess I was nieve enough to think that amount would come close to cover what he needed, I was even prepared to pitch in $100 because I knew he was tall and would probably have to pay a little extra for his stuff.  Boy was I wrong!!!!  We spent a little over $600 just for the required items, and we left out a few that we weren't sure he absolutely needed because of the $$.  I feel they could have prepared us better for that.  We did not buy 1 piece of clothing, except for his exercise shorts, that did not have to be special ordered in and then altered on top of that.  We had to order shirts 2 sizes larger for the shoulder width and have them take them in the arms and torso so he doesn't look like his shirt is swallowing him.  They wear these jumpsuits to bed so they can get up and go quickly, can any of you imagine Scott in a jumpsuit?  NO!!!  We had to get 2 sizes larger to fit him through the torso and not make him sing soprano (if you knwo what I mean) but it literally drowns him.  The poor seamstress has a lot of work for just Scott's clothes.  He is kind of upset that we can't order his workout shorts in a larger size or in a tall length becaue they are only mid-thigh when he stands up, and can you imagine how short they are when he bends down?  Well he will have to wear some kind of biker shorts underneath so he isn't being indecent when they work out, which it is required to workout 1 hour for every 24 hours you are on shift, so I am sure he will stay in shape.

So there are my frustrations.  Nothing life altering, and I am not upset.  Life is going well.  Scott has the job he wanted, the only thing more he could have asked for was it to be in Logan.  And on that note, he had his written exam for Logan City Fire Department today. He said he felt really confident that he aced it.  Now we just wait for a call for an interview.  They gave the guys today the "don't call us, we'll call you" speech, so now we wait.  He is happy and Ogden and is not in a hurry to leave a job he hasn't started, but he would jump on a Logan job if he had an opportunity then all would be perfect.

Thanks for listening or reading as it were.

3 comments:

Tamy said...

I hope the kids feel better soon:( As for the clothing I can kind of see Ogden's City side, if they gave every Fireman $500-$1000 for clothing they would be broke. Not to mention you said they had a high turn over rate. But it would have been nice of them to warn you about the cost. I am sure Scottie is not the first tall fireman to work there. I am so excited for you guys can't wait to hear about his first day on Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope everyone is on the mend soon. I haven't been by in a while (sick myself) and am glad to hear about the job news!

Jenn said...

So sorry everyone is sick! And what a dumb thing - imo - for kids to play football that late! Sorry, I don't get it! But I'm glad they won! :) I imagine that Scott will get a lot more calls out in Ogden than in Logan - at least it seems like we are always hearing/seeing fire engines go out! Good luck!