Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Baby it's cold outside...... Have we just lived through the Worst Decade Ever?

Seriously it's cold outside.  Wow!!  So after my much thought out previous blog post I just don't have it in me to do that much thinking again.  Though I must say I have been reading Time Magazine at work and it does have some thought provoking articles.  The one I read today states that we have just finished up the WORST decade ever.  Ever?  I wonder if I agree with that.  While I agree the first 10 years of the 21st Century (2000 - 2009) probably haven't been the best, but I wonder if they have been the worst ever?  I think back to the era of the Great Depression and the many wars we went through.  Granted we are now fighting a few wars and 2 major ones in Afghanistan and Iraq, but we have not had a draft and for that I am thankful.  If you compare money spent on war and troops these have been worse than the previous ones, but call me dumb and blind but it seems that we as a country are handling it better that we did in earlier years. 

So while this has been a trying decade as a whole and as a family we have lived through prosperity, poverty, health, illness, murder and everything in between and for some reason I don't know if I agree with the name of Worst Decade.  I may feel differentaly if I was older and had lived through some of the earlier conflicts but as I see it and studying history with my son I think we held our own.  I think we learned from our history and while we had bigger struggles like never before seen (9/11) I think that we made it through.

So I am going to say that I don't think that last 10 years have been the worst to live through, there have deffinately been worse, but I guess if you look at $$ and the economy and markers like that then yup we are in trouble, but that isn't me.

Do you think this last 10 years deserves the title of Worst Decade Ever?

2 comments:

vcsings said...

No!It also depends on where you were living the last 10 years, but I choose to be thankful for all the GOOD things that have happened in the last 10 years. Lots of marriages and new grandkids,lots of people making it through illnesses,some finally released,College graduations, Missions, new jobs, new homes, new Prophet, new Temples etc. Let's all think on the bright side of things...If it truly has been a terrible 10 years, then we are due for 10 better ones! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I can't say that. The last decade brought me both my kids! :)